Design and documentation journal for my interactive fiction (text games); also reviews and other miscellaneous stuff.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Minus the Romanticism

No matter how many squicky details FTA gets, it's still essentially a game that romanticizes the can-do frontier spirit.  Less romantic: pictures I found from 1940 in the Library of Congress's flickr stream, showing a more realistic view - five kids in a dugout with cardboard for insulation and a sod roof, and one of the saddest fields of corn ever.  It's fascinating to look at these pictures; it's a kind of grim squalor that I don't want to think about much, and in comparison, the options I write about are like Swiss Family Robinson.  It's kind of embarrassing. 

Now I'm going to return to figuring out how to let a lone PC in the wilderness make glass windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment